Sunday, April 13, 2008

My wife is pretty funny...

For those of you who don't know my wife Christine that well, she can be pretty funny. Twice in the last few weeks, she was pretty hysterical, albeit not on purpose. I promised her that I would memorialize one here in the blog so that I could never forget it. The other happened this morning, so I figured I now had a reason to blog.

The first one occurred on our wedding anniversary, which happens to be April 1. The night before, I was in the city for a fantasy baseball draft. I got home around 12:15 and she was still awake. We had a full conversation on the events of the day and when I climbed in to bed, I said, "Happy Anniversary...I love you." Her reply was, "Happy Anniversary...I hope it wasn't the worst two years of your life." With that, she was fast asleep. She's very sentimental.

The other funny one was today. I had my first softball game of the season, and Christine brought our daughter Avery, as well as our nephews, Nicholas and Anthony. They spent some time walking around the park, playing at the playground, and as I was loosening up for my first at-bat, I noticed that they were over by the car.

I came up with a man on third and one out and was focused on hitting the ball hard, in the air, to drive in the run. On the second pitch of the at-bat, I hit a long fly ball down the left field line that I thought was curving foul. I watched the ball for a few seconds and then noticed that it wasn't curving as much as I thought, so I started running. The ball landed fair, and I ran around the bases for a home run. After getting the obligatory congratulations from my teammates, I was standing near the bench, catching my breath and Christine came back over. She asked, "Are you going to get to bat up soon?" When I explained that I had just hit a home run, she was sorry that she missed it. Needless to say, the guys got a big kick out of that, and made sure that she knew when I was coming up the next time.

Some random notes...

A very Happy 30th Birthday to my brother-in-law Jeffrey. Also known as Uncle Mistah to my daughter, he is truly a great addition to our family. We celebrated last night at Sammy's Romanian Steak House on the Lower East Side, which is a favorite of the family going back many years.

Is there any way that Big Papi hits .074 for the year? I don't think so either.

My vote for the NBA MVP this year is Chris Paul, but I am a little biased as he is the star of my fantasy hoops team. More on my fantasy team next week, once the season is over.

I am stealing a feature from Bill Simmons. Bruce YouTube clip of the week. Last week, Bruce played two nights in Anaheim, CA and each night, Tom Morella of Rage Against the Machine guested on The Ghost of Tom Joad. Rage covered it in the past and Bruce and Tom re-worked the song. Think the version of Youngstown from the 99-00 tour. Here is the clip...from BS.net. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-oDAxx8So

Does anyone know why Girardi didn't walk Manny on Saturday with a base open and two outs? If so, please let me know asap.

That's all for tonight...until the next time, "Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive...if you can."

JN

No comments: