Saturday, June 21, 2008

Avery's First Trip to The Stadium

Yankee Stadium has a lot of nicknames. To me, it's always been one of my most special places on the planet. Today, I got to take my daughter Avery, now seven months old, to her first game, Yankees vs. Cincinnati Reds, June 21, 2008 at 1:05 pm.

The day started with a little more preparation than a normal trip to the Bronx. After all, I am usually not bringing a diaper bag. We left around 11:30, stopped for gas, some lunch for my wife Christine, and we were over the bridge in plenty of time to make to for the first pitch. Walking past the new stadium, I pointed and told Avery, "that will be yours...today we are going to mine."

We made our way through the line, and entered The Stadium through the Sidewalk Cafe, not too far from our seats in right field. I admit, I was pretty nervous. I wasn't sure how she would react to all of the people, the cheering, etc. As we walked down the tunnel, I hung back and watched Christine and Avery enter and snapped a picture. All I could think about was Billy Crystal's story about his first time in Yankee Stadium. He described the colors, having never seen them before as he watched games on black and white television. Even though I knew my daughter would have no recollection of this day, everything seemed a bit brighter to me.

We sat in our seats as the first pitch was thrown. Everyone in our section asked if this was her first game, commented on how cute she is, and then were amazed at how well behaved she was. She ate her lunch, looked at all of the people, smiled, sat on my lap, sat on Christine's lap, and took it all in.

With Dan Giese (NYY) and Daryl Thompson (CIN) both making their first major league starts, I didn't expect a pitchers duel. However, that's what we got. I decided we should leave after six innings to beat the traffic a bit and not have to deal with the crowds on the way out. The score was 0-0 when we left. Considering the Yankees gave up four runs in the top of the 7th, and ended up losing 6-0, I would say we left at the perfect time.

I truly can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than with my wife and daughter, in one of my favorite places on the planet. Today...was perfect.

"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive"

JN

No comments: