Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blood Brothers

Ten years ago today, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band ended their 99-00 Reunion Tour at Madison Square Garden. It was the 10th night of a 10 night stand at The Garden. It was my 36th show of the tour and my ninth of the ten at The Garden. The only one I missed was the third show for my cousin Noel's wedding (Happy Anniversary Noel and Danielle).

Flynn McLean did a great job of recapping the show on Backstreets.com (http://www.backstreets.com/news.html), so I will skip that part. What I remember most 10 years later, both about the show and the tour, is the friendships. The friendships on stage, the friendships in the parking lots, the friendship at the shows, and the friendships on the road trips. There were a bunch on that tour as I followed the band everywhere I reasonably could. The tour took me to Philly, DC, Penn State, Hartford, Albany, State College, and of course, the local shows.

The music was amazing. It was my first E Street Band tour, so everything was new for me. Bruce was pulling out material from the back catalog that he hadn't played in many years and the rarities from Tracks were always fun. Some great songs and great shows stand out in my mind from that tour, but I always remember who I was with, how we got there, where we were sitting, etc. For me, that tour was all about friendships, both new and old.

Whether it was hitting softballs off of The Spectrum after the last night in Philly (first ever Incident for me) with Fresh and the two Dave's, sitting in the 4th row two nights in a row in Atlanta with Marc Schwartz, seeing Andy and Jeff Koko in dark sunglasses sitting in the first few rows at The Garden, too many Long Island Ice Tea's in Albany, the debacle that was the Penn State trip with Noel, Chet and Meatball, Gary Miller flying in from LA for a show in NJ, Hartford for two shows with Ira, or sitting in the first row for the first time with Andy in Philly...they were all great great memories. I also got to go to shows with my sister Sari, my mother and my father on that tour.

So...to my Blood Brothers...so many shows since then...it's been a great ride. Thanks everything. More shows, more miles, and more music to come.

"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive" BS

JN

No comments: