Monday, February 4, 2008

My Lucky Charm

The Giants pulled off one of the biggest upsets in sports history yesterday beating the previously undefeated New England Patriots 17-14 to win Super Bowl 42 (I didn't use the roman numeral for my cousin Jared). I watched the game with my wife, Jared, my two sisters, my mother, David, Uncle Eddie, cousin Jeffrey, and most important...my lucky charm, my daughter Avery.

I know it's a little silly, but she and I have both worn our Giants jerseys throughout the playoffs, mine #80 (Shockey) given to me by Fresh as a 30th b-day present, and Avery's #10 (Eli) given to her by my cousin Keith, not coincidentally, Fresh's brother. When the Giants won the first playoff game, we decided that the jerseys would be worn, from start to finish, until we lost. Needless to say, we never lost.

At the start of the 4th quarter, I took my daughter to sit on my lap, partially because it was time for her to go to sleep, and partially because I thought the Giants needed some good luck. As soon as she came to sit with me, Eli completed a 45 yard pass to Kevin Boss and they were on their way. I won't recount the game...there is plenty of that, but I will say that the Tyree catch should go down in history as the greatest catch in Giants history. What a play!

I have said it in a previous blog entry, but I feel the need to repeat it. I was wrong about Eli and Coughlin. I was very critical of both and they did a great job of silencing the critics. While I always rooted for them, I wasn't convinced they could get the job done. They more than proved me wrong and I am happy they did so. Eli really came of age the last month and Coughlin went up against the best in the business last night and came out on top.

THE GIANTS ARE THE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

Some quick thoughts:
- I am of the opinion that history will not remember the Pats. Teams start the season with the goal of winning the Super Bowl. They missed their goal. Everyone on that team would have traded the undefeated season for the Super Bowl win if given the choice.
- The defense was swarming and I hope Spags stays as the D coordinator.
- Tiki who?
- It's time to trade Shockey. His energy is great, but it can be a detriment to the team.
- If they raised ticket prices after the last two years, what are they going to do to us next year? Ownership should keep in mind, we only won three home games.
- I am happy that the boys were in AZ for the game...Scott, Keith, Strauss, Al, and Mike Levine had us well represented.

Less than two weeks until pitchers and catchers report. I am ignoring the nonsense in Washington with Congress and steroids and focusing on the Giants until spring training starts.

"Stay hard...stay hungry...stay alive if you can..."

JN

No comments: